I’ve been busy with lots of real life stuff recently (boooooring!) so I neve rgot round to posting this entry when it was first written.
Thankfully over the last few months I’ve also made time for some more musical activites (yay!). Along with putting together a new guitar (which I love!) and working through various audio tutorials, one of the best things I’ve done recently is work on a friend’s short film. So here is a rather overdue post about that experience:
Before I spoil the plot though, here is a link to the film:
One of the key lessons from my masters was that learning by doing, and especially finishing things, is one of the best ways to progress quickly. It was brilliant to be reminded of that. This project was challenging but I really enjoyed it.
For me the key things about the film was it’s charm and sense of humour. It was essential that any work on sound and music should build on these, rather than detracting from them. Thankfully the subject matter and themes were very familiar to me so
Lots of learning here, but the main thing was how impressive Isotope RX4 is… whilst I’m still learning, it’s amazing to be able to paint out and smooth over noises which would otherwise ruin vocal recordings…
I am fundamentally a guitarist/scientist with an interest in sound, so working with strings (in this case sampled) was a completely new experience for me.
I’d like to think I went a little beyond sounding completely static and artificial, whilst still just using the provided string sounds in Logic X. As much for my own memory, I’ll soon post up a quick note about how I set up and used modulation/expression to add life to the sounds. Given the subject matter, I regarded early feedback from the director that it sounded “a little too Buffy” in places as a positive thing!
There are many things I’d love to go back and change, but with any such project that knowledge and those realisations will need to be stored up for the next time.
I was lucky to be pointed towards a very skilled individual, Ali Murray, when it came to painting a picture of the fight scene. My initial thoughts about how to approach this massacre may have been functionally correct, but not served the piece in the best way. I’d have gone for something much more muted and possibly “real” rather than amping everything up and pushing it straight at the viewer. It was obvious the correct effect had been achieved when my partner visibly flinched at the results!
I’ve just started working on audio for another couple of films in the same universe, one with a much darker tone and another which plays to humour and geekiness like this one. I’m really looking forward to seeing (and hearing) how they turn out.